WE CAN DESIGN, BUILD AND MAINTAIN EMERGRENCY AND EVACUATION LIGHTING SOLUTIONS FOR ALL BUILDING TYPES INCLUDING DOMESTIC, COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL

Enough Is Enough
It's time for our government to act

Last night, the ABC aired a story in its 7.30 Report. Unfortunately, it's a story we have heard before, about an electrician fatally electrocuted on a job site.

 

In this instance, it was the story of 18 year old Jayden Zappelli, who had been working in the trade for just three days when he came into contact with a live cable when working in a roof space. Jayden was pronounced dead shortly after being taken to hospital.

 

Sadly, a simple safety switch could have prevented this horrific accident. A safety switch can shut off the power from an electric shock in just a few thousandths of a second – faster than the critical phase of a heartbeat. Around 15 Australians are killed and 300 hospitalised every year as a result of electrical accidents that could have been prevented with a safety switch.

 

Master Electricians Australia has been campaigning for safety switches to be installed on every home for more than four years. Today, we declare that enough is enough. It's time for our state governments to act on this issue, and make safety switches mandatory on every switch, in every home.

 

We will continue to campaign to ensure as many homeowners as possible understand the very serious danger of not having safety switches installed in their home, so we reduce the occurrence of any more preventable deaths while we wait for the Governments to take action.

 

I urge you to forward this on to everyone you know. Together, we can present a unified voice to Government, and hope to achieve what Master Electricians Australia has been campaigning for.

 

You can view the full 7.30 report at http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4201190.htm.

 

Regards,

Malcolm Richards

CEO Master Electricians Australia